Audit Coordinator – The Office of the Legislative Auditor’s (OLA) Financial Audit Division has an opportunity for an experienced auditor at the supervisory level. OLA is now seeking applicants for an Audit Coordinator position.
An Audit Coordinator:
- Plans and supervises financial and performance audits of large, complex state governmental units and selected quasi-state public entities.
- Trains and supervises less experienced auditors in governmental accounting and audit standards, procedures, and techniques.
- Reviews work papers for completeness and provides feedback to staff.
- Reports audit results to comply with audit standards by communicating audit objectives, scope, and reporting process to agency officials.
- Reports evidence of potential errors, irregularities, and illegal acts, and compiles identified audit issues.
- Coordinates and writes draft reports.
- Participates in communicating audit results and findings to department head, agency management, and oversight agencies.
- Performs staff reviews.
The Legislative Auditor will determine the starting salary based on the selected applicant’s qualifications. Up to two (2) positions may be filled from this posting.
To be considered, a candidate must:
- Submit a cover letter.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years audit experience.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, nonprofit or public administration, finance, economics, or a related field.
- Have strong organizational skills, including the ability to query and organize data and perform quantitative analyses.
- Have a demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex and technical issues, both verbally and through written reports.
- Have experience directing and supervising less experienced audit staff.
- Have experience in critically analyzing financial data and legal compliance requirements, including laws, federal regulations, and state rules, policies, and procedures.
- Have experience with statistical analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and sampling techniques.
- Have experience collecting information through interviews and written inquiries.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A master’s degree in accounting, nonprofit or public administration, finance, economics, or a related field.
- Knowledge of state government and the legislative process.
- Experience obtaining and handling sensitive information.
- Licensure as a CPA.
- Cover letters and resumes will be reviewed to identify applicants meeting minimum and preferred requirements. Selected applicants will be required to submit education transcripts and employment references and go through an interview process. At the time of the interview, applicants may be asked to draft a written response to an essay question and provide a writing sample.
- Background checks will be conducted prior to any employment offer. Personal integrity is an essential qualification to work at OLA, and certain violations of ethical or legal standards relevant to being an auditor at OLA may disqualify an applicant.
- Applicants may be disqualified for prior partisan work experience.
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Why Work for Us
MEANINGFUL WORK! OLA promotes accountability in state government by strengthening legislative oversight, supporting good management, and enhancing program effectiveness in state agencies.
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. Additionally, OLA offers flexible work schedules and the ability to telecommute.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter with their resume through the state’s Careers website. You may do this by uploading them together as a single file attachment, or uploading the cover letter separately from the resume. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
Audit Coordinator – Job ID 40368 (Posting closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 15, 2020.)
Contact for More Information
If you have job-specific questions, contact Valerie Bombach at Valerie.Bombach@state.mn.us or 651-383-6010. For benefits-related questions, contact Shelly Gilb at Shelly.Gilb@state.mn.us or 651-296-1730.