State University System
Fiscal Year 1993;
|Public Release Date: June 24, 1994
The audit scope was limited to the testing of major federal programs administered by the State University System.
We included the following federal programs:
- Federal Family Educational Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Federal PELL Grants
We found that state universities had not complied with federal regulations in the following areas:
- Cash management procedures need to be improved. (Moorhead, Mankato, St. Cloud, and
Bemidji State Universities)
- Administrative cost allowance for campus-based aid exceeded. (Moorhead State
- Federal Work-Study expenditures purposely overstated on federal cash transactions report.
(Moorhead State University)
- Student dependency status not documented in file. (Moorhead State University)
- Federal Family Loan proceeds released to an ineligible student. (St. Cloud State University)
- State match for the Federal Perkins program not deposited timely. (St. Cloud, Mankato,
and Winona State Universities)
- Stafford Loan exit counseling not conducted for all students. (Bemidji State University)
In addition, we noted that St. Cloud State University needs to improve computer access controls over its financial aid system.