Department of Human Services
For the Year Ended June 30, 1993;
|Public Release Date: June 9, 1994
Evaluate internal control structure: Policies and procedures for
the distribution of various state and federal programs.
Test compliance with certain finance-related legal provisions.
We found three areas where the internal control structure needed improvement:
- The Department of Human Services needs to improve controls over the Medical
Care Surcharge System.
- The department is not properly monitoring the accuracy of data used in its costs
- The department's sampling methodology used to test eligibility is deficient for the
Family Support Program (CFDA # 93.560).
We found four areas where the department had not complied with finance-related legal
- The department did not conduct the required number of on-site audits of cost
reports for nursing homes in fiscal year 1993.
- The department improperly reported 1991 grant year obligations to the federal
government and used the funds for a subsequent period for the Child Care
Development Block Grant (CFDA # 93.575).
- The department improperly used 1990 grant funds for 1992 social service
contracts in the Refugee Resettlement Program (CFDA #93.026).
- The department is not complying with certain state and federal reporting
requirements for the Social Services Block Grant (CFDA 93.667).