Pine Technical College
July 1, 1999, through June 30, 2002
Key Findings and Recommendations:
- Pine Technical College did not adequately restrict certain computer clearances to the MnSCU accounting accounts receivable functions.
- The college's controls were inadequate for some backdated registration transactions and for tuition waivers.
- The college did not timely reimburse its payroll clearing account.
- The college did not maintain adequate separation of duties over purchasing and accounts payable.
- The college's controls over the use of its presidential expense allowance account and other special expenses were inadequate.
- The college did not maintain adequate controls over its Job Skills Partnership Program. It did not follow MnSCU travel and contracting procedures. Finally, it did not adequately support the amounts reported on some payment reimbursement requests.
- The college's bookstore did not have adequate procedures for handling return transactions.
Pine Technical College is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) System. This financial-related audit report focused on financial management, tuition and fees, employee payroll, administrative expenditures, the Job Skills Partnership Program, bookstore revenue, the Employment and Training Center, and selected state grants for the period July 1, 1999, through June 30, 2002.