Combative Sports Commission
Financial Audit Division Report 08-36
Released December 18, 2008
The Combative Sports Commission's executive director, office assistant, and some commission members inappropriately used tickets given to the commission by an event promoter. The commission did not fulfill its responsibility to establish adequate controls over its financial operations and comply with state laws and policies.
- The Combative Sports Commission's executive director and office assistant violated the state's Code of Ethics when they provided complimentary tickets for a combative sports event to family members and other individuals.
- Commission members inappropriately used complimentary tickets to an event regulated by the commission.
- The commission did not adequately secure its website or email communications.
- The commission did not have adequate controls over receipts or payroll.
- The commission did not follow the legally required rule-making process.
Commission operations from July 1, 2006, through October 31, 2008.
The Combative Sports Commission regulates boxing and mixed marital arts events. The Governor appoints the nine-member commission and the commission's executive director.